UF Commencement & CALS Recognition Ceremony
Fall 2018 Schedule of Events
- Doctoral Commencement- Friday, Dec. 14, 1:30 p.m. (includes individual recognition of doctoral students)
- CALS Student Recognition Ceremony - Friday, Dec. 14, 7:30 p.m. (incudes individual recognition of CALS bachelor's and master's students)
- University-wide Commencement- Saturday, Dec. 15, 9:00 a.m. (all bachelor's and master's degrees will be conferred at this ceremony; individual degree candidates will not be recognized)
- Individual recognition of bachelor's and master's degree recipients on the O'Connell Center stage
- Students will be greeted by their department chair/representative on stage
- Special gift for attending degree candidates from the College of Agricultural and Life Sciences
- Address from a graduating senior
- Student singer for the national anthem and alma mater
- Check in begins at 6 pm at Gate 4
- Guest entry is from Gate 1
- Student processional will begin shortly after 7 pm; guests should be in their seat by this time.
- Regalia (cap and gown) is required
- Students should bring their name card to this ceremony
- There will be a recessional of all graduates after the ceremony (no leaving early)
CALS Recognition Ceremony: What to Expect
CALS Recognition Ceremony: Student Instructions
Student Speaker and Singer Applications
Each fall and spring, the College of Agricultural and Life Sciences selects a graduating senior to address students at its recognition ceremonies. Applications for Fall 2018 are available at this link and are due Friday, Sept. 28 at 5 p.m.
Graduating seniors interested in singing the alma mater should email firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, Sept. 28 at 5 p.m. with information about their previous singing experiences. Audition appointments will be made for a date to be determined in October.
CALS Recognition Ceremony FAQs
Will my name be called as I walk across the stage?
Yes! All College of Agricultural and Life Sciences bachelor's and master's candidates will be recognized by name as they cross the stage at the CALS Recognition Ceremony. Doctoral candidates will be reognized by name as they cross the stage at the University-wide Doctoral Commencement.
What should I wear?
Students should wear academic regalia (cap and gown) to all Commencement-weekend events.
Where do I get a name card and which ceremony do I bring it to?
Students will receive name cards at the Bookstore when picking up regalia. Name cards should be brought to the Doctoral Commencement or the CALS Recognition Ceremony. Name cards are not needed for the University-wide Commencement.
Do I need tickets to attend the ceremony? How many guests can I bring?
No tickets are required for the CALS Recognition Ceremony, Doctoral Commencement or the University-wide Commencement. There is no limit to the number of guests an individual student may bring to each of these events.
Where do I go once I get to the O'Connell Center?
Graduates should report to Gate 4 of the O'Connell Center 60-90 minutes prior to the start of the ceremony. Guests will enter from Gate 1. Please review the O'Connell Center's security policy prior to arrival and note the list of prohibited items.
Will I receive my diploma?
You will not receive a diploma at the Universitywide Commencement Ceremony or the CALS Student Recognition Ceremony. Diplomas are mailed to the graduate's diploma mailing address. Learn more at https://commencement.ufl.edu/diploma.
How do I celebrate with my gradate if I cannot attend in person?
We encourage graduates, friends and family to follow CALS on Twitter, Instagram and/or Facebook. Include #UFGrad in your posts before, during and after commencement weekend.
The CALS Recognition Ceremony will be live streamed. A link will be available on this page.
Information on lodging, parking, photography and additional commencement weekend details are provided at https://commencement.ufl.edu.
Commencement occurs at the end of each fall, spring, and summer B terms.