Honors: Program Requirements
CALS Honor Scholar Certificate Admission Requirements:
- A student in the College of Agricultural and Life Sciences
- Earned at least 60 credits toward graduation
- Overall UF upper-division GPA 3.75 or greater
CALS Honor Scholar Certificate Graduation Requirements
Hours: 9 credits with minimum grades of C or S
Students earning the CALS honors scholar certificate must complete at least nine credit hours of honors coursework and an undergraduate honors thesis. The coursework, thesis topic and thesis adviser are unique to each student and are subject to approval by the CALS honors program director.
- Maintain an upper division GPA (last 60 hours) of at least 3.75.
- ALS 3923 Honors Orientation (1 credit).
- XXX 4915 Honors Project (or similar independent study/research course to be completed as the student is working on their thesis research) (3-4 credits). In each department, there is a course designated for this purpose; register for this during the semester that you are performing or writing your honors project. The zero credit option for XXX 4915 will NOT count towards the CALS Honor Scholar Certificate.
- Additional Honors courses; see the Courses page for more information. Honors course work is identified as such on your transcript. These additional credits of honors coursework (4-5 credits) are taken as:
- Existing 3000/4000-level honors courses, approved by the honors program director
- Existing 3000/4000-level CALS courses taken as honors contract courses, approved by the honors program director
- CALS graduate-level courses, approved by the honors program director
- Complete an Honors Thesis, approved by the research mentor, department honors coordinator and honors program director.
- Be sure to double check with your departmental Honors Coordinator for any additional requirements.
Graduating with Honors from UF:
You do not have to participate in the CALS Honors Program to graduate from the University of Florida with Honors.
Graduating with Honors from UF requires only the following:
- Cum laude (with honors) - a 3.5 minimum upper-division GPA
- Magna cum laude (with high honors) - a 3.75 minimum upper-division GPA, PLUS an Honors Thesis. You are not required to sign up for honors research credits (XXX 4915). If you need the credits, you can sign up for 1-3 credits of XXX4915. At a minimum the University would like you to sign up for the zero credit XXX 4915 every term you are conducting research.
- Summa cum laude (with highest honors) - a 3.85 minimum upper-division GPA PLUS an Honors Thesis. You are not required to sign up for honors research credits (XXX 4915). If you need the credits, you can sign up for 1-3 credits of XXX4915. At a minimum the University would like you to sign up for the zero credit XXX 4915 every term you are conducting research.
However, students that complete the CALS Honors Program will graduate from UF magna cum laude or summa cum laude automatically, since the CALS Honors Program requirements exceed the UF and CALS requirements.
See the UF Honors website for more details on graduating with honors and honors theses at the University of Florida.
Special note for Microbiology and Cell Science students:
Your department has special course requirements to graduate magna or summa cum laude (in addition to the thesis and GPA requirements noted above). Please see the Microbiology and Cell Science Department web site.
Be sure to double check with your departmental Honors Coordinator for any additional requirements